Saturday 1 March 2014

A Room Full of Chocolate




Mum found a lump under her arm on my tenth birthday.

I wrote this fact down in my special blue book that I use for my stories and plays.

I is Grace, a girl who is made to live with her grumpy granddad that her mum says is an old goat, because her mum is in hospital. She finds a friend called Megan who has a pet pig called Claude. Grace misses her mum so much, even chocolate can’t make it better, but when Grace is with Megan she sometimes sees visions of her mum playing with her friend Allie, Megan’s mum.

The book is written in the first person, including some diary entries. The diary pages are decorated by Grace with roller stamps and pictures. The storytelling is lifelike and full of Grace’s hopes and fears.



A Room Full of Chocolate by Jane Elson (Hodder, 2014) is for anyone, including most boys sort of. The last bit is the best, but I’m not going to spoil it for you. I would like to ask Jane Elson if she has written her own experiences into the book?

Jane Elson has replied on Twitter: A Room Full Of Chocolate is semi autobiographical in parts. "Lovely to know that something that happened in my childhood is touching people's hearts through my book."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rooftoppers

Alongside The Executioner's Daughter, Rooftoppers is still possibly the best book of all. Click on Older Posts to read about it.